Luckily for me, my husband will eat whatever I cook and put in front of him, so when I made two quinoa salads within about 4 days he did not complain. Also he has perceived that it is healthy eating and he’s starting to come on board with that concept.
I got this recipe from a friend – and cousin by marriage – who I wish lived in Vancouver, I only see her once a year when we visit Vancouver Island. She’s very cool to hang out with, and also an awesome cook. She made this salad when she came to Bowser and very graciously gave me the recipe. I have named it Southwest Quinoa Salad because that’s how it strikes me. I’ve made a few alterations for my kitchen as her recipe was written for a commercial kitchen (she used to own a café). So yummy!
Southwest Quinoa Salad
- 1 1/3 c. quinoa – cooked in rice cooker like white rice on the quick cook 20-minute setting, completely cooled
- 1/2 c. corn – frozen or canned
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/4 c. red onion, minced and blanched under boiling water then shocked with cold and drained
- 1 c. tinned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 c. dried cranberries
- 1 avocado, diced
- handful fresh cilantro, chopped
You can roast the corn and red pepper if you like. Cool before adding.
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1 t. chilli powder
- 2 T. brown sugar
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. ground black pepper
- 1/2 t. cayenne pepper (optional)
You essentially mix everything together! I love this kind of salad. It lasts a couple of days in the fridge as well. The original recipe included the zest of the limes but I found my limes were quite strong so I didn’t need it. Obviously you can adjust the dressing to suit your own tastes as I’ve done.